Sunday, January 24, 2016

Introduction

You can teach an old dog new tricks. I'm Paul Phillip and I'm learning all about blogging which I never thought I would need or want to do. No offense to anyone, but throughout these posts, I'll be using the women's maiden names. It's hard enough to remember 40 years ago without the added burden of married names that I may never have heard of.

The first planning meeting of the reunion committee was held on January 21. Thanks to Daryl Colwell for getting us started. Also attending were Deb Hatch, Lori Nagaki, Tammy Jantz, Shirley Johnson, Steve Benzel and Paul Phillip. Our first task is to be sure we have contact information for everyone. To that end, please send your email address to Paul Phillip. And encourage anyone you are in contact with to do the same. We'll be gathering more information for a reunion book to be created later. 

The golf course has been reserved for Saturday, September 10. Also discussed were a Friday night social, a tour of the high school, t-shirts, and a scavenger hunt. If you have any ideas, feel free to send them to anyone on the committee or show up at the next meeting (February 11 at 7:00 in the Administration Building).

If you would like to follow this blog, you can select the "Follow by email" link on the left side of the page or there is a link to get RSS feeds at the bottom of each page. If you would like to post something or you have ideas you would like to see incorporated in this blog, send it/them to me.  I do have some information from commencement and some pictures that I'll be posting soon.

=================================================


Is there a good excuse?
If you are not coming to the reunion, you need a good excuse and a note from your Mom. The following reasons have been tried and are unacceptable:

Excuse #1: I'm overweight.
Rebuttal: You're not alone. Note t-shirt sizes being offered.

Excuse #2: I'm a different person than I was in high school
Rebuttal: Lucky for you, we ALL are. Let's face it: we could only have improved.

Excuse #3 I don't look as good as I'd like. I am (choose one or more) bald, have wrinkles, saddlebags, grey hair and no one will recognize me.
Rebuttal: Guess what! You won't recognize anyone else, either. Using the reunion committee as a representative sample, our whole class looks like a "before" photo in a plastic surgery ad. n.b. is it just me, or have the women aged much better than the men?

Excuse #4: I'm not successful. I'm not (choose one or more) a lawyer, a doctor or rich.
Rebuttal: You'll be pleasantly surprised to find how much everyone has matured. We may be plump and wrinkled (see Excuse #3, above) but we're not stupid. Money is not success.

Excuse #5: I was not in a popular clique in school
Rebuttal: Now that we're old and smart, those cliques have dissolved just like the superficialities they were based on. The only cliques you'll notice at the reunion will be the sound of your joints as you walk around.

By Mary Fobian, former Reunions magazine editor

2 comments:

  1. What if all five excuses apply? Just kidding. It's like that old adage the older the violin the sweeter the music.

    And I have to learn how to blog within the next 30 days. So wish me luck.

    Michael Paulsen

    ReplyDelete

To eliminate spam, all comments are moderated and will not appear until approved.